Sunday, May 2, 2010

positive reinforcement

Congratulations to my friend Sam, who got his MCAT score back a few days ago, and rocked it like I knew he would! He's going to make an amazing doctor, and I will be his #1 patient. These were the cookies I made for him the morning after he took the test, as a reward for his long hours in the library. I like to bake for my friends when I'm proud of them. Eugenie finished her thesis last month and requested chocolate cupcakes. She asked me to bake a buttermilk chocolate cake for her wedding someday, and of course I said yes.

Raisin molasses gems

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup raisins
additional sugar for rolling

Beat shortening and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Add molasses and egg, beat well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt.

Slowly add dry ingredients to molasses mixture and stir to incorporate. Add raisins.

Cover and refrigerate for one hour.

Shape into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar, and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment