Tuesday, May 25, 2010

detox rocks


Congratulations to Wesleyan University's class of 2010!

Even though it wasn't my turn to graduate this morning, I've been at wes all week celebrating with my friends who did, and what a week it's been. What a cheap champagne and take-out fueled week. Everyone needs an entire week of excess once in a while, but now it's time to detox. I drank more shitty beer and ate more rich restaurant food this week than I have the entire last two semesters, and now I want nothing more than to eat leafy greens for my next ten meals.

For the eleventh meal I think I'll make this red pepper salad, because it'll add some variety (and protein) to my detoxification plan. The recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman's 101 Simple Salads for the Season. I would love to try every single one of the salads on that list, but instead I keep making this one because nothing beats it.



Roasted red pepper salad

3 red bell peppers, in strips
8-10 oz small white beans (about half a normal size can)
1 large shallot, diced
3 Tblsp. olive oil
3 Tblsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
2-3 oz. Parmesan cheese, in thin slices
salt and pepper, to taste

 Brush each side of the red pepper strips with olive oil, and roast for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven, or until soft and starting to brown. Let cool completely.

Place the peppers on a large plate or platter, and top with Parmesan slices. Over the peppers and Parmesan, sprinkle the white beans, shallots, and rosemary, and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.


1 comment:

  1. EEK Gabby,
    I am so so excited to try this out! I think I might still need to detox from senior week....
    Love you,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete