Tuesday, May 25, 2010

lead me home

 
In September I'll be moving into a house with three friends, and I'm living in the bedroom right next to the kitchen! I want to have a comfortable home, full of friends and chipped glassware and family photos.

Almond flavored things are comfortable, therefore almonds make a home?
Lead paint chips taste like almond (supposedly). My house next year has lead paint that hopefully will not peel and turn into toxic dust. Therefore, toxic dust makes a home? (Just kidding)

This almond cake is delicious, and when I have my own home I will bake this cake to make things comfortable and warm. I brought this cake to dinner with a friend's family yesterday. I love the craziness happening in that house, and her younger brother loves this almond cake.


(I've been trying to learn how to crack an egg into the bowl with one hand, because it looks so professional and effortless. I ended up with egg all over my hand but no eggshell in the batter. The trick to cracking an egg with one hand? Commit to it.)


Solo almond cake

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
*1 can Solo almond filling
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk

*almond filling is not the same thing as almond paste or marzipan, and can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores

for almond glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp cream cheese
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in almond filling, then sift in dry ingredients and combine with the almond mixture alternately with milk.

Spread evenly in a greased 10 inch tube or bunt pan, then bake for 50-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Cool, then drizzle with glaze.


No comments:

Post a Comment