The story of my day, in photos:
1. Stopped by the farmstand across the street, which hasn't been open in several years. Sampled a beautiful strawberry, which tasted so so good. The farmer told me the strawberries had come inexplicably early this year. I bought a pint and two stalks of rhubarb, even though I have no idea what to do with rhubarb, or if I even like it.
2. Considered making strawberry rhubarb pie, then decided against it. Are you supposed to peel rhubarb? Not sure, but I pulled off what I could, and made pretty colored ribbons. Diced the rhubarb and a pear, and made a compote.
3. Picked some mint from the garden, and stared at it next to the strawberries, considering just eating the strawberries out of the carton then making mint tea.
4. Meanwhile, ate the entire bowl of compote.
2 stalks rhubarb, outer layer peeled off and cut into inch-long pieces
1 bosc pear, diced into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tblsp. water
Simmer the fruit, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, or until tender but still holding its structure.
Eat warm straight out of the saucepan, pour over ice cream, or cool and eat with yogurt.
5. Decided to make a strawberry salad. Why do too much to strawberries when they're so fantastic on their own?
Strawberry mint salad
1 pint strawberries, halved
2 stalks mint, leaves pulled off and coarsely torn
1 orange, segmented, and each cut into three pieces
6. Was immeasurably happy.