Friday, May 14, 2010

unlikely


Disaster part II: After I burned the caramel (see below), I realized that I had no butter. Two for two yesterday. I'm moving out of my apartment tomorrow, so my refrigerator is sparse. I did have a tin of olive oil and some plain yogurt, which sounded like an unexpected yet promising start to a cake.


I thought that this cake would be a disaster too, but I suppose I underestimated the magic of flour, fat, sugar and eggs.


The cake turned out interesting. Interesting is not always something you'd want to eat, but this cake was interesting and delicious, and smelled floral and sweet when I carried it to a friend's house.



Olive oil yogurt cake

1 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin. Use one you like, because its taste shines through)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

for glaze:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix yogurt, olive oil, and sugar until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift in dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into a 9 inch round cake pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan.

In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar and vanilla for the glaze. I poured this over the cake while it was still warm and it seeped into the top layer of the cake, which was lovely.

1 comment: