Friday, April 30, 2010

enchiladamama

About half an hour before my birthday dinner was supposed to start, I had a small episode of panic and thought there wasn't going to be enough food. I had ended up inviting a few extra guests at the last minute, and two people had shown up as a welcome but unanticipated surprise. I feared that no one would get enough to eat, but then I opened a beer, made some cinnamon-scented brown rice, and realized that it was my birthday and I was surrounded by my closest friends. There probably would be enough to eat, and if not, they would love me anyway.


Mushroom and zucchini enchiladas

20-25 small corn tortillas*
3 Tblsp. vegetable oil
two small zucchinis, sliced
one package mushrooms, sliced
16 ounces cheddar cheese
15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
one batch mole poblano (see recipe below)

*I find corn tortillas tastier than flour tortillas, but more difficult to work with. Cold corn tortillas will break when you try and roll them, so I had to microwave them in batches for thirty seconds or so before filling and rolling them. 

Heat oil in a large pan and add mushrooms and zucchini. Saute until tender then remove from heat and let cool. In a large bowl, combine black beans, cheddar, and cooled vegetables.

Working in small batches, heat the tortillas (30-45 seconds in the microwave), so that they're soft. Place a few spoonfuls of filling into each tortilla, roll it up, and place in a deep pan. When filling is gone, cover tortillas with mole poblano and some additional cheddar. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment